The Cote d’Or

The Côte d’Or, October 2009

+ The place

[collapse]

+ My feelings and historical part

A department to visit with many famous places such as Les Hospices de Beaune, the possible site of the battle of Alésia where Vercingetorix bent his knees in front of Julius Caesar. A walk on the Burgundy Canal is essential with the passage of the Pouilly-en-Auxois tunnel.
We are also in a place renowned for its wines: Clos Saint-Jacques, Chambertin, Aux Malconsorts, Aux Raignots, Cros Parantoux and Les Suchots …
So come here for the feast of the eyes, the taste buds..
Historical part
The department of Côte-d’Or was created on March 4, 1790 by the Constituent Assembly. It was part of the former province of Burgundy.
It is a legend created “from family memory” in 1896 which would like “the name of Côte-d’Or to be due to the poetic and grandiose aspect of the coast in autumn” or that André-Rémy Arnoult, constituent deputy of Dijon is the “creator” of this name. Like many other legends, this one is bogus.
The coast, as a mountain, has been shown by geographers on maps since 1584. As for the name, it appears for the first time on the initiative of Guillaume Delisle, an important geographer to the King and member of the Royal Academy of Sciences, on a 1703 map, and even more clearly, on the map he drew up in 1709 by order of the Elected Generals of the Province of Burgundy. a coast line appears clearly according to a topography, in a way even more picturesque than geometric, but, above all, for the first time it is called “LA COSTE”, between Nuits-Saint-Georges and Dijon.
As for the name “CÔTE D’OR”, it is an ex nihilo creation of the Division Committee of the Constituent Assembly.
After the victory of the allies at the Battle of Waterloo in June 1815, the department was occupied by Austrian troops from June 1815 to November 1818.
The Burgundy Canal is a small gauge waterway (Freycinet) 150mi (242km) long, located in the Bourgogne-Franche-Comté region in France, and which connects the Seine basin with the Rhône basin. The construction of the Burgundy Canal was planned from the reign of Henri IV around 1605. The first works began in 1777 on the section from Laroche to Tonnerre. The Pouilly-en-Auxois tunnel was built between 1826 and 1832.
Source

[collapse]